The previous article in this series is Downloading A GEDCOM File From An Ancestry Member Tree.
Now that you’ve successfully downloaded the GEDCOM file containing the ancestors of the test taker, this file needs to be imported to Genome Mate so that we can begin to make use of some of the advanced tools in Genome Mate. This post will show how to import a GEDCOM file to Genome Mate in simple, easy to follow, steps.
1) In the menu bar near the top of the Genome Mate program window, click Profiles to bring up the Manage Kit Profiles box.
2) In the Manage Kit Profiles box, select the profile to which we would like to import the GEDCOM file, and then click the Load Gedcom File button.
3) Clicking on the Load Gedcom File button will open up a dialog box allowing you to navigate to where the GEDCOM file you previously downloaded is located on your computer. Once you have selected the file, and the upload process has completed, you will be taken to the Select Profile Person window. Type the test taker’s last name into the Surname Starts With: box, and then click on the test taker’s name from within the list of search results.
4) Upon selecting the test taker’s name, a confirmation box will come up. If the person you have selected is indeed the test taker for this profile, click on the Yes button. If you have selected the wrong person, or are unsure that you have selected the correct person, click the No button to go back and choose a different person, or to cancel the import completely.
5) After selecting the correct person, and clicking the Yes button, the Manage Kit Profiles box will come back up. You will see Gedcom file loaded, in red, towards the bottom of the window, to let you know the file upload has completed. If you do not see this in your Manage Kit Profiles box, close the box and start the upload process again from step 1 above. Upon the upload process successfully completing, click the Close button.
6) Clicking the Close button takes us back to the main Genome Mate screen. To doublecheck that our GEDCOM upload was successful, click Relatives in the menu bar.
7) Clicking Relatives in the menu bar will bring up the Ancestor List box. Within this box, we should see the names of the ancestors of the test taker, listed in alphabetical order by last name. If you do not get such a box, this is an indication that something went wrong with the GEDCOM upload process. Repeat steps 1 through 7, and if you still do not see the Ancestor List box, post a comment below, or post a message on the Genome Mate User Group page on Facebook.
Congratulations, we have completed uploading our GEDCOM file, and are now ready to begin learning how to use some of the advanced tools within Genome Mate. If you have added additional profiles to Genome Mate, repeat the process above to add a GEDCOM file for each profile. While following the steps above, if you experience any problems, or notice that a screen has changed from what I’ve shown in the screenshots, please let me know by commenting on this thread or sending me an email.
This article last updated 11 Oct 2014